Region of mountains where the highest peak of the whole Central America is located: Talumulco volcano which summit reaching 4220 meters.
EMBASSY IN FRANCE
2 Rue Villebois-Mareuil, 75017 Paris
Tél. +33 (0) 1 42 27 78 63
CURRENCY & EXCHANGE
The national currency is the Quetzal. 1 EURO is worth about 9 Quetzals. It is recommended to bring small US dollar bills or travelers checks in US dollars, since Euros are not generally accepted. Currency exchange should be done in banks and official exchange bureau and a passport will be requested to process the transactions.
Tipping is essential. It is recommended to leave a 10% tip of the value of the beverage.
Respect the basic security rules, such as:
- Avoid walking in isolated streets or neighborhoods with bad reputation.
- Be careful when withdrawing cash or exchanging currency.
- Leave valuable jewels and objects in the safe-deposit-box at the hotel or in a safe place.
- Only take with you the needed cash and credit cards.
- Request help case by case to your tour guide.
- Do not go out at night.
Generally, transportation in Guatemala is done by road and by bus. However, there is a domestic airline called TAG Airlines which stops at cities such as Flores close to Tikal, the archaeological site.